Meaning of bench mark
- a marked point of known or assumed elevation from which other elevations may be established. Abbr.: BM
Pronunciation: (bench'märk"), [key]
- a standard of excellence, achievement, etc., against which similar things must be measured or judged: The new hotel is a benchmark in opulence and comfort.
- any standard or reference by which others can be measured or judged: The current price for crude oil may become the benchmark.
- an established point of reference against which computers or programs can be measured in tests comparing their performance, reliability, etc.
- of, pertaining to, or resulting in a benchmark: benchmark test, benchmark study.
- bench mark (Thesaurus)