Meaning of bell
- a hollow instrument of cast metal, typically cup-shaped with a flaring mouth, suspended from the vertex and rung by the strokes of a clapper, hammer, or the like.
- the stroke or sound of such an instrument: We rose at the bell.
- anything in the form of a bell.
- the large end of a funnel, or the end of a pipe, tube, or any musical wind instrument, when its edge is turned out and enlarged.
- the underlying part of a foliated capital.
- It is now four bells.
- any of the half-hour units of nautical time rung on the bell of a ship.
- each individual ring of the bell, counted with others to reckon the time:It is now four bells.
- a signal on the telegraph of a large power vessel, made between the navigating officers and the engineer.
- umbrella (def. 2).
- the bell-shaped corolla of a flower.
- a conical lid that seals the top of a blast furnace and lowers to admit a charge.
- to evoke a memory, esp. a vague or partial recollection; remind one of something: His name rings a bell but I can't remember him.
- to provide what is desired; be satisfactory or successful: This new book rings the bell with teenagers.
- (of a boxer) saved from a knockout by the ringing of a gong signaling the end of a round.
- (of any person) spared from anticipated trouble by some extraneous event.
- eagerly; ready to enjoy oneself: Just say when, and we'll be there with bells on.
- to cause to swell or expand like a bell (often fol. by out): Belling out the tubes will permit a freer passage of air.
- to put a bell on.
- to take or have the form of a bell.
- to produce bells; be in bell (said of hops when the seed vessels are forming).
- See (def. 15).
— v.i., v.t.
- to bellow like a stag in rutting time.
- to bay, as a hunting dog.
- the cry of a rutting stag or hunting dog.
- pen name of Anne Brontë.
- 1847–1922, U.S. scientist, born in Scotland: inventor of the telephone.
- 1881–1964, English critic of literature and art.
- pen name of Charlotte Brontë.
- pen name of Emily Brontë.
- 1797–1869, U.S. political leader: Speaker of the House 1834–35.
- a city in SW California, near Los Angeles. 25,450.
- bell (Thesaurus)