beg: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (beg), [key]
— v., begged, beg•ging.
- to ask for as a gift, as charity, or as a favor: to beg alms; to beg forgiveness.
- to ask (someone) to give or do something; implore: He begged me for mercy. Sit down, I beg you.
- to take for granted without basis or justification: a statement that begs the very point we're disputing.
- to fail or refuse to come to grips with; avoid; evade: a report that consistently begs the whole problem.
- to ask alms or charity; live by asking alms.
- to ask humbly or earnestly: begging for help; begging to differ.
- (of a dog) to sit up, as trained, in a posture of entreaty.
- to request or obtain release from an obligation, promise, etc.: He had promised to drive us to the recital but begged off at the last minute.
- to assume the truth of the very point raised in a question.
- to remain open or available, as a position that is unfilled or an unsold item: The job went begging for lack of qualified applicants.
Pronunciation: (bāg, beg), [key]
- beg (Thesaurus)