beef: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bēf), [key]
— n., pl. v. beeves beefs
- the flesh of a cow, steer, or bull raised and killed for its meat.
- an adult cow, steer, or bull raised for its meat.
- brawn; muscular strength.
- strength; power.
- weight, as of a person.
- human flesh.
- a complaint.
- an argument or dispute.
- to complain; grumble.
- During the riots, the nighttime patrol force was beefed up with volunteers.
- to add strength, numbers, force, etc., to; strengthen:During the riots, the nighttime patrol force was beefed up with volunteers.
- to increase or add to:to beef up our fringe benefits.
- beef (Thesaurus)