Meaning of barbecue
Pronunciation: (bär'bi-ky"), [key]
— n., v., -cued, -cu•ing.
- pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, esp. when basted in a barbecue sauce.
- a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
- a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.
- a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.
- to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
- to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.
- to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.
- barbecue (Thesaurus)