banner: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ban'ur), [key]
- the flag of a country, army, troop, etc.
- an ensign or the like bearing some device, motto, or slogan, as one carried in religious processions, political demonstrations, etc.
- a flag formerly used as the standard of a sovereign, lord, or knight.
- a sign painted on cloth and hung over a street, entrance, etc.: Banners at the intersection announced the tennis tournament.
- anything regarded or displayed as a symbol of principles.
- a square flag bearing heraldic devices.
- Also calleda headline extending across the width of a newspaper page, usually across the top of the front page.
- an open streamer with lettering, towed behind an airplane in flight, for advertising purposes.
- leading or foremost: a banner year for crops.
- banner (Thesaurus)