Meaning of ballet
Pronunciation: (ba-lā', bal'ā), [key]
- a classical dance form demanding grace and precision and employing formalized steps and gestures set in intricate, flowing patterns to create expression through movement.
- a theatrical entertainment in which ballet dancing and music, often with scenery and costumes, combine to tell a story, establish an emotional atmosphere, etc.
- an interlude of ballet in an operatic performance.
- a company of ballet dancers.
- the musical score for a ballet: the brilliant ballets of Tchaikovsky.
- a dance or balletlike performance: an ice-skating ballet.
- ballet (Thesaurus)