bail: Meaning and Definition of
— Law. Law.
- property or money given as surety that a person released from custody will return at an appointed time.
- the person who agrees to be liable if someone released from custody does not return at an appointed time.
- the state of release upon being bailed.
- to provide bail for: They spent the night in jail because no one would stand bail for them.
- to abscond while free on bail: The suspect jumped bail and is now being sought.
- released or free as a result of having posted bond: He was out on bail within 10 hours of his arrest.
- to grant or obtain the liberty of (a person under arrest) on security given for his or her appearance when required, as in court for trial.
- to deliver possession of (goods) for storage, hire, or other special purpose, without transfer of ownership.
- the semicircular handle of a kettle or pail.
- a hooplike support, as for the canvas cover on a Conestoga wagon.
- a metal band or bar equipped with rollers for holding a sheet or sheets of paper against the platen of a printing press, typewriter, etc.
- to dip (water) out of a boat, as with a bucket.
- to clear of water by dipping (usually fol. by out): to bail out a boat.
- to bail water.
- The corporation bailed out its failing subsidiary through a series of refinancing operations.
- to make a parachute jump from an airplane.
- to relieve or assist (a person, company, etc.) in an emergency situation, esp. a financial crisis:The corporation bailed out its failing subsidiary through a series of refinancing operations.
- to give up on or abandon something, as to evade a responsibility:His partner bailed out before the business failed.
- a bucket, dipper, or other container used for bailing.
- either of the two small bars or sticks laid across the tops of the stumps which form the wicket.
- a bar, framework, partition, or the like, for confining or separating cows, horses, etc., in a stable.
- the wall of an outer court of a feudal castle.
- to confine a cow for milking, as in a bail.
- to force (one) to surrender or identify oneself or to state one's business.
- to waylay or rob (someone).
- (the cry of challenge of a pioneer or person living in the bush.)
- bail (Thesaurus)