backhanded: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bak'han"did), [key]
- performed with the hand turned backward, crosswise, or in any oblique direction so that the palm of the hand faces in the direction of the body and the back of the hand faces in the direction of forward movement.
- sloping in a downward direction from left to right: backhanded writing.
- oblique or ambiguous in meaning; indirect; insincere or malicious; wry: backhanded methods; a backhanded compliment.
- noting a rope in which the yarns and the strands are laid in the same direction, the rope itself being laid in the opposite direction.
- with the hand across the body; backhand: He caught the ball backhanded.
- backhanded (Thesaurus)