Meaning of attrition
Pronunciation: (u-trish'un), [key]
- a reduction or decrease in numbers, size, or strength: Our club has had a high rate of attrition because so many members have moved away.
- a wearing down or weakening of resistance, esp. as a result of continuous pressure or harassment: The enemy surrounded the town and conducted a war of attrition.
- a gradual reduction in work force without firing of personnel, as when workers resign or retire and are not replaced.
- the act of rubbing against something; friction.
- a wearing down or away by friction; abrasion.
- imperfect contrition. See under(def. 2).
- attrition (Thesaurus)