Meaning of asymptotic
Pronunciation: (as"im-tot'ik), [key]
— adj. Math.
- of or pertaining to an asymptote.
- (of a function) approaching a given value as an expression containing a variable tends to infinity.
- (of two functions) so defined that their ratio approaches unity as the independent variable approaches a limit or infinity.
- (of a formula) becoming increasingly exact as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity.
- coming into consideration as a variable approaches a limit, usually infinity: asymptotic property; asymptotic behavior.
- asymptotic (Thesaurus)