aspiration: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (as"pu-rā'shun), [key]
- strong desire, longing, or aim; ambition: intellectual aspirations.
- a goal or objective desired: The presidency is the traditional aspiration of young American boys.
- act of aspirating; breath.
- articulation accompanied by an audible puff of breath, as in the h-sound of how, or of when (hwen), or in the release of initial stops, as in the k-sound of key.
- the use of an aspirate in pronunciation.
- the act of removing a fluid, as pus or serum, from a cavity of the body, by a hollow needle or trocar connected with a suction syringe.
- the act of inhaling fluid or a foreign body into the bronchi and lungs, often after vomiting.
- aspiration (Thesaurus)