aspirate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.as'pu-rāt"n., adj.,as'pur-it), [key]
— v., n., adj. -rat•ed, -rat•ing,
- to articulate (a speech sound, esp. a stop) so as to produce an audible puff of breath, as with the first t of total, the second t being unaspirated.
- to articulate (the beginning of a word or syllable) with an h-sound, as in which, pronounced (hwich), or hitch as opposed to witch or itch.
- to remove (a fluid) from a body cavity by use of an aspirator or suction syringe.
- to inhale (fluid or a foreign body) into the bronchi and lungs, often after vomiting.
- to draw or remove by suction.
- a speech sound having as an obvious concomitant an audible puff of breath, as initial stop consonants or initial h-sounds.
- the substance or contents that have been aspirated.
- (of a speech sound) pronounced with or accompanied by aspiration; aspirated.
- aspirate (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.