antedate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.an'ti-dāt", an"ti-dāt'n.an'ti-dāt"), [key]
— v., n. -dat•ed, -dat•ing,
- to be of older date than; precede in time: The Peruvian empire antedates the Mexican empire.
- predate (def. 1).
- to assign to an earlier date: to antedate a historical event.
- to cause to return to an earlier time: to antedate one's thoughts by remembering past events.
- to cause to happen sooner; accelerate: The cold weather antedated their departure from the country.
- to take or have in advance; anticipate.
- a prior date.
- antedate (Thesaurus)