animal: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (an'u-mul), [key]
- any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.
- any such living thing other than a human being.
- a mammal, as opposed to a fish, bird, etc.
- the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of human beings; animality: the animal in every person.
- an inhuman person; brutish or beastlike person: She married an animal.
- thing: A perfect job? Is there any such animal?
- of, pertaining to, or derived from animals: animal instincts; animal fats.
- pertaining to the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of humans, rather than their spiritual or intellectual nature: animal needs.
- animal (Thesaurus)