alto: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (al'tō), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -tos,
- the lowest female voice; contralto.
- the highest male voice; countertenor.
- a singer with such a voice.
- a musical part for such a voice.
- the second highest of the four parts of a mixed vocal chorus, or the voices or persons singing this part.
- the second highest instrument in a family of musical instruments, as the viola in the violin family or the althorn in the cornet family.
- of, pertaining to, or having the tonal range of the alto.
- (of a musical instrument) second highest in a family of musical instruments: alto saxophone.
- var. ofaltostratus.
- alto (Thesaurus)