Meaning of alibi
Pronunciation: (al'u-bī"), [key]
— n., pl. v. -bis,
- the defense by an accused person of having been elsewhere at the time an alleged offense was committed.
- an excuse, esp. to avoid blame.
- a person used as one's excuse: My sick grandmother was my alibi for missing school.
- to give an excuse; offer a defense: to alibi for being late.
- He alibied his friend out of a fix.
- to provide an alibi for (someone):He alibied his friend out of a fix.
- to make or find (one's way) by using alibis:to alibi one's way out of work.
- alibi (Thesaurus)