Meaning of ad lib
Pronunciation: (ad lib', ad'), [key]
- something improvised in speech, music, etc.: Was that joke part of your speech or an ad lib?
- at one's pleasure; without restriction.
- freely; as needed; without stint: Water can be given to the patients ad lib.
Pronunciation: (ad lib', ad'-), [key]
— v., adj. -libbed, -lib•bing,
- to improvise all or part of (a speech, a piece of music, etc.): to ad-lib one's lines.
- to act, speak, etc., without preparation: Throughout the play he had to ad-lib constantly.
- impromptu; extemporaneous: ad-lib remarks to hecklers.
- ad lib (Thesaurus)