Meaning of acknowledge
Pronunciation: (ak-nol'ij), [key]
— -edged, -edg•ing.
- to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of: to acknowledge one's mistakes.
- to show or express recognition or realization of: to acknowledge an acquaintance by nodding.
- to recognize the authority, validity, or claims of: The students acknowledged the authority of the student council.
- to show or express appreciation or gratitude for: to acknowledge a favor.
- to indicate or make known the receipt of: to acknowledge a letter.
- to take notice of or reply to: to acknowledge a greeting.
- to confirm as binding or of legal force: to acknowledge a deed.
- acknowledge (Thesaurus)