above: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-buv'), [key]
- in, at, or to a higher place.
- overhead, upstairs, or in the sky: My brother lives in the apartment above. A flock of birds circled above.
- higher in rank, authority, or power: She was told to speak to the person above.
- higher in quantity or number: books with 100 pages and above.
- before or earlier, esp. in a book or other piece of writing; foregoing:Cf. below (def. 6). the remark quoted above.
- in or to heaven: gone to her eternal rest above.
- on the upper or dorsal side.
- upstage. Cf. below (def. 9).
- higher than zero on the temperature scale: The temperature dropped to ten above this morning.
- in or to a higher place than; over: to fly above the clouds; the floor above ours.
- more in quantity or number than; in excess of: all girls above 12 years of age; The weight is above a ton.
- superior in rank, authority, or standing to: A captain is above a lieutenant.
- not subject or liable to; not capable of (some undesirable action, thought, etc.): above suspicion; to be above bad behavior.
- of too fine a character for: He is above such trickery.
- rather than; in preference to: to favor one child above the other.
- beyond, esp. north of: six miles above Baltimore.
- upstage of.
- most important of all; principally: charity above all.
- said, mentioned, or written above; foregoing: the above explanation.
- something that was said, mentioned, or written above: to refer to the above.
- the person or persons previously indicated: The above will all stand trial.
- heaven: truly a gift from above.
- a higher authority: an order from above.
- above (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.