Meaning of abort
Pronunciation: (u-bôrt'), [key]
- to bring forth a fetus from the uterus before the fetus is viable; miscarry.
- to develop incompletely; remain in a rudimentary or undeveloped state.
- to fail, cease, or stop at an early or premature stage.
- to fail to accomplish a purpose or mission for any reason other than enemy action.
- (of a missile) to stop before the scheduled flight is completed.
- to cause to bring forth (a fetus) from the uterus before the fetus is viable.
- to cause (a pregnant female) to be delivered of a nonviable fetus.
- to cause to cease or end at an early or premature stage: We aborted our vacation when the car broke down.
- to terminate (a missile flight, mission, etc.) before completion.
- to put down or quell in the early stages: Troops aborted the uprising.
- a missile, rocket, etc., that has aborted.
- abort (Thesaurus)