2004 Nobel Prize Winners
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- Peace: Wangari Maathai (Kenya) ?for her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace?
- Literature: Elfriede Jelinek (Austria) ?for her musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of society's clichs and their subjugating power?
- Physics: David J. Gross, H. David Politzer, and Frank Wilczek (all U.S.) ?for the discovery of asymptotic freedom in the theory of the strong interaction.?
- Chemistry: Aaron Ciechanover (Israel), Avram Hershko (Israel), and Irwin Rose (U.S.) ?for the discovery of ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation.?
- Physiology or Medicine: Richard Axel and Linda Buck (both U.S.) ?for their discoveries of odorant receptors and the organization of the olfactory system.?
- Economics: Finn E. Kydland (Norway) and Edward C. Prescott (U.S.) ?for their contributions to dynamic macroeconomics: the time consistency of economic policy and the driving forces behind business cycles.?