Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
This glossary introduces characters from the stories and legends of Egyptian Mythology.
- Aaru: Abode of the blessed dead.
- Amen (Amon, Ammdn): One of chief Theban deities; united with sun god under form of Amen-Ra; husband of Mut.
- Amenti: Region of dead where souls were judged by Osiris.
- Anubis: Guide of souls to Amenti; son of Osiris; jackal-headed.
- Apis: Sacred bull, an embodiment of Ptah; identified with Osiris as Osiris-Apis or Serapis.
- Geb (Keb, Seb): Earth god; father of Osiris; represented with goose on head.
- Hathor (Athor): Goddess of love and mirth; cow-headed.
- Horus: God of day; son of Osiris and Isis; hawk-headed.
- Isis: Goddess of motherhood and fertility; sister and wife of Osiris.
- Khepera: God of morning sun.
- Khnemu (Khnum, Chnuphis, Chnemu, Chnum): Ram-headed god.
- Khonsu (Khensu, Khuns): Son of Amen and Mut.
- Mentu (Ment): Solar deity, sometimes considered god of war; falcon-headed.
- Min (Khem, Chem): Principle of physical life.
- Mut (Maut): Wife of Amen.
- Nephthys: Goddess of the dead; sister and wife of Set.
- Nu: Chaos from which world was created, personified as a god.
- Nut: Goddess of heavens; consort of Geb.
- Osiris: God of underworld and judge of dead; son of Geb and Nut; brother and husband of Isis.
- Ptah (Phtha): Chief deity of Memphis.
- Ra: God of the Sun, the supreme god; son of Nut; Pharaohs claimed descent from him; represented as lion, cat, or falcon.
- Serapis: God uniting attributes of Osiris and Apis.
- Set (Seth): God of darkness or evil; brother and enemy of Osiris; brother and husband of Nephthys.
- Shu: Solar deity; son of Ra and Hathor.
- Tem (Atmu, Atum, Tum): Solar deity.
- Thoth (Dhouti): God of wisdom and magic; scribe of gods; ibis-headed.