"The Ninth Report on Carcinogens"
The Ninth Report on Carcinogens, published May 15, 2000, lists 218 substances known or suspected to cause cancer. The Ninth Report added (or upgraded) 14 substances, including secondhand smoke, alcoholic beverages, excessive sun, sun lamps, and tanning beds. Saccharin, the artificial sweetener, was removed from the list of suspected carcinogens.
Below is the report's list of “known carcinogens.” The complete report, including the lengthy list of substances “reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens,” can be found on the Web site, ehis.niehs.nih.gov/roc/toc9.html , or can be ordered by calling 1-800-315-3010.
Substances Known to Be Human Carcinogens
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption
- 4-Aminobiphenyl (4-Aminodiphenyl)
- Analgesic Mixtures Containing Phenacetin
- Arsenic and certain Arsenic Compounds
- bis(Chloromethyl) Ether
- 1,4-Butanediol Dimethylsulfonate
- Cadmium and Cadmium Compounds
- 1-(2-Chloroethyl)-3-(4-methylcyclohexyl)-1-nitrosourea (MeCCNU)
- Chromium Hexavalent Compounds
- Coke Oven Emissions
- Conjugated Estrogens
- Cyclosporin A
- Dyes that Metabolize to Benzidine
- Direct Black 38
- Direct Blue 6
- Environmental Tobacco Smoke
- Ethylene Oxide
- Methoxsalen with Ultraviolet A Therapy (PUVA)
- Mustard Gas
- Silica, Crystalline (Respirable Size)
- Smokeless Tobacco
- Solar Radiation and Exposure to Sun Lamps or Sunbeds
- Strong Inorganic Acid Mists Containing Sulfuric Acid
- Tars and Mineral Oils
- 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-Dioxin (TCDD)
- Thorium Dioxide
- Tobacco Smoking
- Vinyl Chloride
Source: Ninth Report on Carcinogens, The National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Human Carcinogens from Infoplease:
- Human Carcinogens - Human Carcinogens "The Ninth Report on Carcinogens" The Ninth Report on Carcinogens, ...
- Health & Nutrition - Personal Health, Nutrition, Disease and Mortality, Drugs and Alcohol
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring