March 2013 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of March 2013.
Higgs Boson Confirmed (Mar. 14): Physicists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) confirm that the new particle discovered during the summer of 2012 appears to be a Higgs boson. The physicists also say they still need to collect more data to clarify what it means for the universe and explain how it works. Joe Incandela, one of the discovery team leaders, says in a statement, "To me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is."
More on March 2013 from Infoplease:
- Jamie Lynn Spears - Biography of Jamie Lynn Spears, The younger sister of Britney Spears
- Francis I - Biography of Francis I, The Argentinian cardinal who became Pope Francis I
- John O. Brennan - Biography of John O. Brennan, The director of the C.I.A. since 2013
- Jimmy Fallon - Biography of Jimmy Fallon, The host of TV's Late Night who'll begin hosting The Tonight Show in 2014
- Phil Ramone - Biography of Phil Ramone, The legendary music producer of Billy Joel's 52nd Street