June 2013 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of June 2013.
Several Wildfires Burn through Colorado (June): Several wildfires erupt in Colorado due to dry and dead evergreen trees. The trees are particularly vulnerable this year from drought and a spruce beetle outbreak. The fire causing the most damage is in a suburb near Colorado Springs. That fire destroys more than 500 homes and kills two people. The largest fire, about 70,000 acres in size, burns through southern Colorado. Even though it forces the evacuation of at least 1,000 people, it causes less damage than the suburban Colorado Springs fire due to its location.
Elite Firefighters Killed in Arizona (June 30): Members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots are killed fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire. The wind suddenly changed direction, giving the firefighters little time to escape its path. The fire consumed 8,000 acres. It was the worst single loss of firefighters since the 2001 terrorist attacks.
More on June 2013 from Infoplease:
- North West - Biography of North West, The daughter of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West
- Hassan Rouhani - Biography of Hassan Rouhani, The president of Iran, 2013-present
- March 2013 Current Events: U.S. News - Current events in the United States for the month of March 2013, including Don't Ask Don't Tell, President Barack Obama, and recession details.
- Esther Williams - Biography of Esther Williams, The swimming beauty who was a movie star in the 1940s
- Iain Banks - Biography of Iain Banks, The author of The Wasp Factor