February 2013 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of February 2013.
Winter Storm Nemo Hits the Northeast United States and Canada (Feb. 8): Two areas of low pressure collide to create Winter Storm Nemo, also referred to as the Blizzard of 2013. Boston, Massachusetts receives 24.9 inches of snow, the fifth-highest snowfall in the city's recorded history. Portland, Maine gets 31.9 inches of snow, a record for the city. However, the highest snowfalls are in Connecticut. For example, Hamden, Connecticut, receives 40 inches. The storm also brings hurricane-like winds and flooding. At least 18 people are killed in the storm.
Meteorite Fragments Injure Hundreds in Russia (Feb. 15): Debris from a meteor hit Siberia and more than 1,000 people are hurt, including 200 children. The injuries are mostly from shattered glass, which occurred when the meteor entered the atmosphere and exploded over Russia. Russian scientists believe that the 10-ton meteor exploded and created a shock wave when it hit the Earth's atmosphere. They believe the meteor exploded and evaporated about 30 miles above the Earth, but small fragments fell to the Earth's surface. Most of the people injured are residents of Chelyabinsk, a city about 950 miles east of Moscow. Chelyabinsk has many factories that build nuclear weapons, but the damage caused no radiation leaks, according to Russian officials.
Information Please® Database, ©2013 Pearson
Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on February 2013 from Infoplease:
- Reeva Steenkamp - Biography of Reeva Steenkamp, The model killed in the home of sprinter Oscar Pistorius in 2013
- March 2013 Current Events: Business News - Current events in the business news for the month of March 2013, including recession details, unemployment, and job loss.
- Raul Castro - Biography of Raul Castro, The brother who replaced Fidel Castro in 2008
- Benedict XVI - Biography of Benedict XVI, The supreme leader of the Catholic Church, 2005-2013
- Oscar Pistorius - Biography of Oscar Pistorius, The double-amputee sprinter who was arrested for killing his girlfriend