August 2013 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of August 2013.
Several Wildfires Burn in Several States (Aug. 17):
As of mid-August, 34 wildfires are burning in eleven states. There are ten wildfires in Idaho alone. Idaho residents near the town of Ketchum are forced from their homes as 1,200 firefighters battle the state's biggest wildfire, which currently burns across 1,000 acres. More than 2,300 homes have been evacuated so far in central Idaho. The fire is six percent contained. (Aug. 26): One of the biggest fires in California's history continues to spread near Yosemite National Park. The fire, which is being referred to as the Rim Fire, is seven percent contained and has burned through 144,000 acres, making it the 14th largest fire in California since 1932, the year the state started keeping wildfire records. The size of the fire is roughly the size of Chicago. The fire's location makes it a threat to San Francisco's electrical and water supply. Nearly 3,000 firefighters are battling the blaze.
Train Hits Crowd in India, Killing Dozens (Aug. 19): Dozens of Hindu pilgrims are killed while crossing the tracks near a remote station in eastern India when an express train crashes into them. After the crash, the crowd drags out the train's driver and beats him. The crowd also sets the train on fire. The Bihar train station is not accessible by road and express trains usually come through without stopping at a speed of 50 miles per hour. Officials say the driver of the train had clearance to pass through the station. Thirty-seven people are confirmed dead, including several children.
Information Please® Database, ©2013 Pearson
Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on August 2013 from Infoplease:
- Hassan Rouhani - Biography of Hassan Rouhani, The president of Iran, 2013-present
- May 2013 Current Events: U.S. News - Current events in the United States for the month of May 2013, including Don't Ask Don't Tell, President Barack Obama, and recession details.
- Karen Black - Biography of Karen Black, Jack Nicholson's girlfriend in Five Easy Pieces
- Bradley Manning - Biography of Bradley Manning, The soldier accused of leaking Afghanistan documents to Wikileaks
- Nidal Malik Hasan - Biography of Nidal Malik Hasan, The suspect in the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood