March 2012 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of March 2012.
Tornadoes Rip through the South and the Midwest (Mar. 2): Several tornadoes and severe thunderstorms hit 17 states, causing at least 27 deaths and injuring hundreds. Southern Indiana, northern Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, and southern Ohio are among the hardest areas hit. The tornadoes and storms are caused by a warm, unseasonable air mass mixing with colder air.
Mysterious Noises Shake up Wisconsin Town (Mar. 21): Around 400 people attend a meeting in Clintonville, Wisconsin, to express their concerns over mysterious night noises that appear to be coming from underground. Police receive hundreds of calls about the noises, which started on Sunday, March 18. Citizens describe the noises as loud booms, as if someone is beating on a pipe underground. According to some, the booms are so loud that at times the ground shakes and windows rattle. Authorities have no source or explanation for the noises. (Mar. 22): Authorities are now saying the cause of the ongoing noise is coming from minor earthquakes. Seismic monitors are picking them up, including one which had a magnitude of 1.5 in the Clintonville area on Tuesday night. Authorities say the minor earthquakes are amplified by the underground bedrock in the area of Wisconsin. Addressing Clintonville residents, city administrator Lisa Kuss explains, "In other places in the United States, a 1.5 earthquake would not be felt. But the type of rock that Wisconsin has transmits seismic energy very well."
Information Please® Database, ©2012 Pearson
Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on March 2012 from Infoplease:
- St. Patrick's Day by the Numbers - Find fun facts about St. Patrick's Day, the holiday that originally celebrated St. Patrick for introducing Christianity to Ireland, but now celebrates all things Irish
- Military Coups - Find information about military and political coups around the world from 2000 to the present.
- 2012 Current Events - 2012 Current Events by Month, US News, World News, Business News, election 2012, presidential campaign, Afghanistan, disasters, economy, sports news, award winners
- James Van Der Beek - Biography of James Van Der Beek, Dawson on the old TV show Dawson's Creek
- Vladimir Putin - Biography of Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation, 2000-2008 and 2012-present