June 2012 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of June 2012.
Wildfires Spread in New Mexico and Colorado (June 1): A massive wildfire continues to spread in New Mexico. The fire is burning through 190,000 acres of the Gila National Forest. More than 1,200 firefighters are on hand, trying to battle the wildfire, already the largest in the state's history. (June 11): A wildfire burns across 60 square miles in the Colorado mountains, 15 miles west of Fort Collins. The fire destroys more than 100 buildings and houses. The body of a 62-year-old woman is found among the damage caused by the fire. In New Mexico, hundreds of people flee a wildfire burning near Ruidoso. The fire burns 54 square miles wide. Meanwhile, the largest fire New Mexico's history continues to burn through the Gila National Forest. According to officials that fire is raging across 434 square miles and is only 37 percent contained. (June 27): At least 32,000 people are evacuated in Colorado as a wildfire burns close to Colorado Springs. The fire is one of nearly a dozen burning in Colorado. Military aircraft tankers are called in to help battle the fires. Surveying the fire near Colorado Springs from the air, Gov. John Hickenlooper says, "This is the worse fire season in the history of Colorado."
Plane Crash in Nigeria Kills More Than 150 People (June 3): A plane goes down in a crowded neighborhood in Lagos, Nigeria. The pilot reports engine trouble right before the plane crashes. All of the 153 passengers are killed as well as an unknown number of people on the ground.
More on June 2012 from Infoplease:
- Danica McKellar - Biography of Danica McKellar, Kevin's dream girl on The Wonder Years
- Liam Hemsworth - Biography of Liam Hemsworth, Gale in the movie The Hunger Games
- Katie Holmes - Biography of Katie Holmes, The Dawson's Creek actress who married and divorced Tom Cruise
- Lance Armstrong - Teams, career wins, timeline, and biography
- 2012 Current Events - 2012 Current Events by Month, US News, World News, Business News, election 2012, presidential campaign, Afghanistan, disasters, economy, sports news, award winners