January 2012 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of January 2012.
Cruise Ship Capsizes off Italian Coast (Jan. 13): The Costa Concordia, a cruise ship, slams into a rock and capsizes near the island of Giglio, which is off the coast of Italy. The accident causes the cruise industry's safety issues to fall under global scrutiny. At least 11 people are killed and 22 remain missing. Francesco Schettino, the ship's captain, is accused of moving the ship off its fixed course and may face criminal charges of manslaughter, failure to offer assistance, and abandonment of the ship.
Thousands Flee Nevada Wildfire (Jan. 20): More than 10,000 people are forced to evacuate when a fast-moving brush fire breaks out near Reno, Nevada. One person is dead and at least 26 homes have been destroyed.
Information Please® Database, ©2012 Pearson
Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on January 2012 from Infoplease:
- Best-Selling Books, 2012 - See a list of the best-selling books for 2012
- February 2012 Current Events: Business News - Current events in the business news for the month of February 2012, including recession details, unemployment, and job loss.
- 2012 Current Events - 2012 Current Events by Month, US News, World News, Business News, election 2012, presidential campaign, Afghanistan, disasters, economy, sports news, award winners
- Laura Kaeppeler - Biography of Laura Kaeppeler, Miss America 2012
- Etta James - Biography of Etta James, R&B singing legend who did "At Last" and "Roll With Me, Henry"