February 2012 Current Events: Disasters & Science News
Here are the key events in Science and Disasters news for the month of February 2012.
Riot at Soccer Match Causes Many Deaths in Egypt (Feb. 1): At least 73 people are killed in a fight between fans of rival teams at a soccer match in Port Said, Egypt. Security at the gates is questioned as fans used knives, clubs, and other weapons in the brawl.
Fire Kills Hundreds at Prison in Honduras (Feb. 14): Over 300 people are killed at a prison in Honduras when an inmate sets fire to his mattress. The fire quickly spreads. Most of the victims die in their cells, awaiting rescue. Some inmates, now fugitives, escape through the roof. Relatives, attempting to rescue loved ones, clash with police at the prison gate.
More on February 2012 from Infoplease:
- The Monkees - Biography of The Monkees, Zany 1960s TV pop group
- St. Patrick's Day by the Numbers - Find fun facts about St. Patrick's Day, the holiday that originally celebrated St. Patrick for introducing Christianity to Ireland, but now celebrates all things Irish
- Trayvon Martin - Biography of Trayvon Martin, The Florida teen shot in 2012 while wearing a hoodie
- March 2012 Current Events: Business News - Current events in the business news for the month of March 2012, including recession details, unemployment, and job loss.
- Military Coups - Find information about military and political coups around the world from 2000 to the present.