From BBC News
- Israel and Hamas truce under way
- Israel and Hamas begin an unconditional 72-hour ceasefire after 24 days of fighting, as talks on a more permanent truce are due in Cairo.
- Multiple Taiwan gas blasts kill 24
- A series of gas explosions in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung kills at least 24 people and injures about 270 others.
- Sudan 'apostasy' woman arrives in US
- A woman who fled Sudan after being spared a death sentence for renouncing Islam has arrived in the US state of New Hampshire to start a new life.
- Hopes 'bleak' for landslide missing
- Officials say hopes of finding any more survivors from a landslide that buried a village are fading, as the number of bodies found passes 50.
- Ebola victim heads to US hospital
- A hospital in Atlanta is preparing to receive a US aid worker infected with the deadly Ebola virus while working in West Africa.
- Xinjiang imam murder 'suspects shot'
- Police have shot dead two suspects in the killing of the imam of China's largest mosque and captured another, state media say.
- US ex-governor's wife 'sought gifts'
- The star witness in the corruption trial of Virginia ex-governor Bob McDonnell says the ex-first lady sought gifts in return for business help.
- China manufacturing growth speeds up
- China's factory activity grows at its fastest pace in more than two year in July, the latest in a series of signs that the country's economy may be stabilising.
- WTO fails to seal global trade deal
- The World Trade Organization says its 160 members have failed to agree a global customs pact drawn up in meetings in Bali last December.
- Argentina blames US for debt default
- Argentina blames the US for its default, calling the mediator in debt negotiations which ended in failure "incompetent".
- Police urged to carry drugs antidote
- US Attorney General Eric Holder has urged federal law enforcement agencies to equip some of their officers with the heroin overdose antidote Naloxone.
- Make-up 'godfather' Dick Smith dies
- Oscar-winning make-up artist Dick Smith, who memorably transformed Marlon Brando into Vito Corleone in The Godfather, has died aged 92.
- Goalkeepers' penalty 'flaw' revealed
- Goalkeepers in penalty shoot-outs make a predictable error that could influence the outcome of the game according to new research.
- Technique turns bodies 'see-through'
- A newly discovered way to make entire bodies transparent could pave the way for a new generation of treatments, scientists say.
- Memo reveals response to CIA 'abuse'
- A still-secret Senate report on CIA enhanced interrogations "tells a story of which no American is proud", a leaked White House memo states.
- Snowden's asylum status expires
- Fugitive US whistleblower Edward Snowden's year-long leave to stay in Russia expires without confirmation that it will be extended.
- Mexico migrants' train deal reached
- The US, Mexico and Guatemala will establish more checkpoints along the route of a freight train to prevent migrants from boarding it, Guatemala says.
- Guatemala buries massacre victims
- The remains of 31 indigenous Ixil Mayans, killed in 1982 at the height of the Guatemala civil war, are buried in a ceremony in the country's north-west.
- Giraffe dies after 'hitting bridge'
- South Africa's animal rights body is probing the death of a giraffe that reportedly hit its head on a bridge as it was being transported on a motorway.
- Senegal corruption trial 'political'
- The flamboyant son of Senegal's ex-President Abdoulaye Wade calls himself a "political prisoner" during a first appearance at his corruption trial.
- England win to level India series
- England wrap up a 266-run victory over India in the third Test at Southampton to level the series at 1-1.
- Filipinos urged to leave Libya
- A top diplomat from the Philippines is to oversee the evacuation of 13,000 citizens from Libya after a Filipino worker was beheaded and a nurse raped.
- Forensic scientists reach MH17 site
- International forensic scientists reach the site of the flight MH17 crash in east Ukraine after the government halts military operations for a day.
- Nato 'unprepared for Russia threat'
- Nato is poorly prepared for an attack on a member state by Russia, a group of MPs warns in a report.
- Israeli Iron Dome firms 'hacked'
- The BBC has seen evidence that appears to confirm hackers stole secret military documents from two Israeli government-owned companies.
- Turkey PM to return US Jewish award
- A row over Israel prompts Turkey's PM Erdogan to return an award he received in 2004 from the American Jewish Congress.
- DNA project 'to make UK world leader'
- A project aiming to revolutionise medicine by unlocking the secrets of DNA is under way in centres across England.
- Whistle-blowers often victimised - MPs
- The treatment of employees in public services who raise concerns about wrongdoing is often "shocking", a group of MPs says.
- Tesla and Panasonic to build factory
- Electric carmaker Tesla is to team up with Japanese electronics firm Panasonic to build a battery manufacturing plant in the US.
- Adidas warns on profits and Russia
- Adidas shares tumble after the sportswear maker issues a profit warning and says it will open fewer stores in Russia.
- Euro prices deeper in 'danger zone'
- The eurozone inflation rate falls by 0.4% in July, sliding further into what the European Central Bank describes as a "danger zone".
- Cook relieved by England victory
- Captain Alastair Cook is pleased that England's win in the third Test against India has ended a bad run of form.
- Amos beats Rudisha to 800m gold
- Nijel Amos produces a stunning run down the final straight to beat David Rudisha to 800m Commonwealth gold.
- Hat-trick of golds for England gymnasts
- England gymnasts Max Whitlock and Claudia Fragapane win their third gold medals of the Commonwealth Games with individual wins.
- Met Opera in late union talks
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York says it hopes last minute negotiations with unions over a pay dispute will avoid a staff lockout.
- Israeli show cancelled after protest
- An Israeli show at the Edinburgh Fringe is cancelled after only one performance following a protest by a pro-Palestinian group.
- US TV producer Halmi dies aged 90
- Prolific US television producer Robert Halmi Sr, whose work won dozens of Emmy Awards, dies at the age of 90.
- VIDEO: Mother and baby saved after landslide
- Rescue workers in western India are working to locate survivors of a landslide that has claimed at least 30 lives and buried up to 200 people.
- VIDEO: Axe crashes through windscreen
- A car passenger had a lucky escape after an axe flew off the back of a lorry and through the windscreen of the vehicle travelling behind it.
- VIDEO: Huge blaze after Taiwan blasts
- A series of explosions in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung has killed 22 people and injured more than 200, officials say.
- VIDEO: Rare contact with remote Amazon tribe
- A group of previously isolated indigenous people from the Amazon has come face to face with a settled community of villagers for the first time in the Brazilian state of Acre, according to authorities.
- VIDEO: How US Customs combats drug trade
- A tour of the postal facility in Los Angeles where US Customs try to halt the flow of illegal drugs coming into and out of the US.
- VIDEO: Argentina defaults for second time
- Argentina has defaulted on its debt - for the second time in 13 years.
- VIDEO: Underwater art exhibition in Italy
- An exhibition of photographs is taking place underwater off an Italian island.
- VIDEO: Ebola victim, four months, laid to rest
- The BBC's Tulip Mazumdar reports from south-east Guinea, where the Ebola outbreak first started in March 2014.
- World War One battlefields 100 years on
- World War One battlefields, 100 years on
- America's 'inexorably' botched executions
- America's long history of executions that go wrong
- Ukraine crisis creates UK tensions
- Ukraine crisis creating high-level UK tensions
- Bling for Indonesia's new mega-rich
- Wealth and growing inequality in Indonesian capital Jakarta
- CAR crisis: 'Lame-duck' president?
- CAR's leader faces a tough battle to unite a divided country
- Kenyan unity lessons for Afghan rivals
- Raila Odinga's advice to feuding Afghan rivals
- VIDEO: Who are the children fleeing to the US border?
- Who are the children fleeing to the US border?
- Is India's construction boom behind Pune village landslide?
- Is India's construction boom behind Pune village landslide?
- The 'Flying Sikh' who won India's first Commonwealth gold
- How an unknown runner won India's first Commonwealth gold
- Broods: New Zealand's next pop export
- Meet New Zealand's next big musical exports
- Quiz of the week's news
- Which Star Wars character was banned from a passport?
- Poles eat apples to annoy Putin
- Why Poles are eating apples to annoy Putin
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring