Salt Lake City Olympic Firsts
- Alpine skier Janica Kostelic of Croatia and cross country skiers Andrus Veerpalu and Jaak Mae of Estonia won the first Winter Games medals for their home countries.
- Short-track speed skaters Steven Bradbury and Yang Yang (A) captured the first Winter Games gold medals for Australia and China, respectively. Bradbury's gold was the first for any country in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Biathletes Raphael Poiree, of France, and Liv Grete Poiree, of Norway, became the first married couple to win medals (a pair of silvers for each) for two different countries.
- Luger Georg Hackl, of Germany, became the first Olympian, winter or summer, to win five medals in the same individual event—a feat he accomplished in five consecutive Games (1988–2002).
More on Salt Lake City Olympic Firsts from Infoplease:
- 2002 Olympics - 2002 Olympics Salt Lake City Final Medal Standings Leading Medal Winners Alpine Skiing Biathlon ...