There are three European club competitions sanctioned by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA). The European Cup (officially, the Champions' Cup) is a knockout contest between national league champions of UEFA member countries;
the Cup Winners' Cup is between winners of domestic cup competitions (note that a double winner– league and cup titles– would play for the European Cup and be replaced in the Cup Winners' Cup by the team it defeated in the domestic cup
final); and the UEFA Cup is between the so-called “best of the rest,” usually the national league runners-up. Note that home teams are listed first.
More on Europe from Infoplease:
- Europe - Europe 1997 News of the World Eighteen years of Conservative rule ended in May when Tony Blair and ...
- Eurasia - Eurasia Eurasia , land mass comprising the continents of Europe and Asia, in which Europe is ...
- Church of Ireland - Ireland, Church of Ireland, Church of, Anglican church of both the Republic of Ireland and Northern ...
- Euro Introduced - Explanation of the new Euro
- Europe - Europe Six teams qualify. Each group winner in round robin play qualifies while the second place ...