Alice CoachmanBorn: Nov. 9, 1923
Track & Field
became the first black woman to win an Olympic gold medal with her win in the high jump in 1948 (London); broke the high school and college high jump records despite not wearing any shoes; member of the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.
More on Alice Coachman from Infoplease:
- Timeline: Women in Sports - From Mt. Olympus to Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Famous Firsts by African Americans (Inventors, Government, Law, Literature, Film) - List of famous African Americans firsts in government, law, and more.
- Biographies of Famous African Americans - Read biographies of notable african-americans.
- Summer Games Gold Medal Winners: Running High Jump - Summer Games Gold Medal Winners: Running High Jump 1928 Ethel Catherwood, Canada 5 ft 3 in 1932 ...
- High Jump - High Jump Year Height 1928 Ethel Catherwood, CAN 5- 21/2 1932 Jean Shiley, USA 5- 51/4 WR 1936 ...