Bill ShoemakerBorn: Aug. 19, 1931
ranks second all-time in career wins with 8,833 (passed by Laffit Pincay Jr. in Dec. 1999); 3-time Eclipse Award winner as jockey (1981) and special award recipient (1976,81); won Belmont 5 times, Kentucky Derby 4 times and Preakness twice; oldest jockey to win Kentucky Derby (age 54, aboard Ferdinand in 1986); retired in 1990 to become trainer; paralyzed in 1991 auto accident but continued to train horses.Died: Oct. 12, 2003
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Bill Shoemaker from Infoplease:
- shoemaker: meaning and definitions - shoemaker: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bill Shoemaker - Bill Shoemaker Age: 72 Hall of Fame jockey who ranks second in all-time in career wins, with 8,833. ...
- Bill Shoemaker - Shoemaker, Bill Shoemaker, Bill (William Lee Shoemaker), 1931–2003, American jockey, b. ...
- Pincay, Laffit Alejandro, Jr. - Pincay, Laffit Alejandro, Jr. Pincay, Laffit Alejandro, Jr. , 1946–, Panamanian jockey, b. ...
- Bill Hartack - Biography of Bill Hartack, A champion jockey who won the Kentucky Derby five times during his career. Hartack won his first Kentucky Derby race riding Iron Liege in 19…