Anatoly KarpovBorn: May 23, 1951
Soviet world champion from 1975-85; regained International Chess Federation (FIDE) version of championship in 1993 when countryman Garry Kasparov was stripped of title after forming new Professional Chess Association; held FIDE title until 1999.
More on Anatoly Karpov from Infoplease:
- Karpov: meaning and definitions - Karpov: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anatoly Karpov - Karpov, Anatoly Karpov, Anatoly , 1951–, Russian chess master. In 1970 he became the ...
- Viktor Lvovich Korchnoi - Korchnoi, Viktor Lvovich Korchnoi, Viktor Lvovich , 1931–, Russian-Swiss chess master. A ...
- Viswanathan Anand - Anand, Viswanathan Anand, Viswanathan, 1969–, Indian chess player. India's youngest ...
- Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine - Starring Joel Benjamin, Anatoli Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Terry Wogan