101st edition of the Boston Marathon, held Monday, April 21, 1997 and run, as always, from Hopkinton through Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Newton and Brookline to Boston, Mass. Lameck Aguta of Kenya broke away from the lead pack in the 25th mile and won in a time of two hours, 10 minutes and 34 seconds. Ethiopia's Fatuma Roba ended Uta Pippig's three-year reign as the women's champion with a move also late in the race. It was Roba's first Boston and the first time an African woman won the race. Franz Nietlispach of Swiitzerland won the men's wheelchair division (1:28:14) and Australia's Louise Sauvage (1:54:28) held off American Jean Driscoll's bid for an eighth straight victory in the women's wheelchair division. Driscoll caught a wheel in the trolley tracks while running just inches behind Savauge and fell over. Driscoll would finish in second place about seven minutes behind Savauge. Winners in the men's and women's divisions earned $75,000. Distance: 26.2 miles.
| || ||Time|
|1||Lameck Aguta, KEN||2:10:34|
|2||Joseph Kamau, KEN||2:10:46|
|3||Dionicio Ceron, MEX||2:10:59|
|4||German Silva, MEX||2:11:21|
|5||Moses Tanui, KEN||2:11:38|
|6||Jimmy Muindi, KEN||2:12:49|
|7||Andre Ramos, BRZ||2:13:10|
|8||Jose Luis Molina, CRC||2:13:34|
|9||Bekele Tesfaye, ETH||2:14:02|
|10||Nelson Ndereva, KEN||2:14:12|
Note:Best USA: 18th— Daniel Gonzalez, Rancho Santa Marguerita, Calif., 2:18:30.
| || ||Time|
|1||Fatuma Roba, ETH||2:26:23|
|2||Elana Meyer, S. Afr||2:27:09|
|3||Colleen de Reuck, S. Afr||2:28:03|
|4||Uta Pippig, GER||2:28:51|
|5||Derartu Tulu, ETH||2:30:28|
|6||Junko Asari, JPN||2:31:12|
|7||Alla Jiliaeva, RUS||2:31:55|
|8||Sonia Maccioni, ITA||2:31:59|
|9||Kim Jones, USA||2:32:52|
|10||Debbie Kilpatrick, USA||2:36:04|
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Boston Marathon from Infoplease:
- The Boston Marathon Fact Sheet - The Boston Marathon Fact Sheet A guide to the world's most celebrated road race by Erin Teare ...
- The Boston Marathon: Virtual Tour - See the route of the Boston Marathon, learn about the cities racers run through, and read about famous milestones of the race
- Louise Sauvage - Race to the Finish Three-time Boston Marathon Wheelchair Winner Louise Sauvage by John Gettings ...
- 2013 Boston Marathon Tragedy - Boston marathon disaster 2013|Three people were killed and hundreds injured after multiple bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon.
- Boston Marathon - Boston Marathon April 15, 2013 Men Time Lelisa Desisa, Ethiopia 2:10:11 Wheelchair—Hiroyuki ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring