|Writers:||Éric Valli and Olivier Dazat|
|Kino International; NR; 104 minutes|
|Cast:||Thinlen Lhondup, Karma Wangiel, Lhakpa Tsamchoe|
French-directed, foreign-funded Himalaya is the first film from Nepal to receive a wide international release. The vast, nearly abstract nature of the title reflects its relation to countryside. There is a lot of respect, but human details get lost in the landscape. Himalaya's plot adheres to a well-traveled schematic that is nearly mythic in its sparseness. The traditional wise man (Thinlen Lhondup) clashes with an energetic youth (Gurgyon Kyap) whose modernity may threaten the old ways.
Himalaya is beautifully filmed, an enjoyable introduction to a world rarely captured on screen.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Himalaya from Infoplease:
- Bhutan's New Income Tax - Y2K Brings the IRS to Bhutan by Borgna Brunner This article was posted on April 8, 1999. Strongly ...
- Himalayas: meaning and definitions - Himalayas: Definition and Pronunciation
- Himalayas - Himalayas Himalayas [Sanskrit,=abode of snow], great Asian mountain system, extending c.1,500 mi ...
- Himalaya - Starring Thilen Lhondup, Gurgon Kyap, Lhakpa Tsamchoe, Karma Wangel, Karma Tensing
- Nepal - Information on Nepal — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.