- The much-dreaded actors' strike is avoided when the two actors' unions reach a tentative, three-year agreement with film and TV studios.
- Sopranos star Robert Iler, who plays Anthony “A.J.” Soprano, is arrested in New York and charged with two counts of second-degree robbery and one count of marijuana possession. He pleads not guilty in an arraignment and is released on bail. Iler and a group of friends allegedly confronted another group on Manhattan's Upper East Side and robbed them of $40. Police found a small amount of marijuana in Iler's pocket.
- The Backstreet Boys announce that singer AJ McLean is in rehab, being treated for alcohol dependency and depression. He's expected to undergo a 30–day treatment program. The band cancels all shows from July 9 through August 7.
- Drew Barrymore and Tom Green have reportedly married—again, this time in Malibu. It's hard to keep track of their nuptial pranks. Last year, Green announced that he and Barrymore would marry during their appearance on Saturday Night Live. Green then said in April that they had tied the knot, which now looks to have been a joke or a ploy to keep the real thing a mystery to the media. Attending the Malibu ceremony, which seems to be the real thing, were fellow Charlie's Angels Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu and Barrymore's estranged mother, Jade.
- Paula Poundstone, who was arrested in June on charges of sexually abusing a 14-year-old girl and endangering four other minors, enters a rehabilitation center for alcoholism treatment. Her lawyer said her dependency problem “had a bearing” on the arrest.
- A contestant on the formerly dull Big Brother is expelled from the show after holding a knife to another player's throat. Justin Sebik, a burly 26-year-old from Bayonne, N.J, said, “I'm going to slash your throat,” as he held Krista, a divorced mother. It was later reported that Sebik had a criminal record. He was arrested twice for theft and three times for assault.
- Nicolas Cage and Lisa Marie Presley make their first public appearance together. The now-acknowledged couple show up together at the opening of Presley Place, a new homeless shelter in Memphis, Tenn.
- The West Wing and The Sopranos come out on top in the list of Emmy nominations, garnering 18 and 22 respectively. ER earned seven noms, making it the most nominated show in television history, with an even 100. Reality TV will be recognized this year, with the creation of a new category for the genre.
- Lucy Liu will bid adieu to Ally McBeal next season. The diminutive star will appear in only four episodes. She's leaving to concentrate on her film career, which got a significant boost from Charlie's Angels.
- Model Niki Taylor goes home after the long hospital stay that followed a near-fatal car accident in April. The car in which she was riding crashed into a utility pole after the driver reached down to pick up his cell phone. Taylor suffered extensive lung and liver injuries.
- Actress Laura Dern and rocker Ben Harper are reportedly expecting a child together. The pair have been dating for about six months. It will be the first child for both.
- Paul McCartney and former model Heather Mills announce their engagement. The pair met in 1999. Mills, a former model, lost half of one leg in 1993, when she was hit by a London police motorcycle. She has since devoted her time to helping amputees and land-mine victims. They plan to marry in 2002. McCartney's wife, Linda, died of breast cancer in 1998.
- Fatboy Slim leads the way in the list of MTV Video Award nominations. His “Weapon of Choice” earns nine nominations, including Video of the Year, Best Dance Video, Best Direction in a Video, Best Choreography in a Video, and Best Special Effects in a Video. “Lady Marmalade,” the group effort by Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, and Pink, is up for Best Video of the Year, Best Dance Video, and Best Pop Video. Eminem nabs five nominations for “Stan.”
- Actress Andie MacDowell announces her engagement to Rhett Hartzog, 43, an Atlanta jewelry businessman. The couple plan a November wedding.
- Mariah Carey suffers a physical and emotional collapse that lands her in an undisclosed New York hospital. The meltdown is attributed to the diva's rigorous schedule.
More on July 2001 from Infoplease:
- July 2001 - July 2001 World David Trimble Resigns (July 1): First minister of the Northern Ireland Assembly ...
- Beijing 2008 Summer Games - Bejing wins the right to host the 2008 Summer Games.
- 2001 Disasters - 2001 Disasters January 2001 Disasters February 2001 Disasters March 2001 Disasters April 2001 ...
- Phoolan Devi - Biography of Phoolan Devi, Modern India's "Bandit Queen"
- 2001 Month-By-Month - 2001 Month-By-Month December 2001 November 2001 October 2001 September 2001 August 2001 July 2001 ...