- Jodi Foster confirms that she's pregnant with her second child, who is due in November. No word on the paternity of the baby. She has a son, Charles, who is almost 3 years old.
- Comedian Tom Green tells USA Today that he and fiancée Drew Barrymore have been married for “a few weeks.” Barrymore's publicist, Eddie Michaels, confirms the story.
- In other wedding news, Brooke Shields and television writer-producer Chris Henchy marry in a quiet ceremony on Catalina Island. The pair met on the set of Suddenly Susan, the failed sitcom starring Shields.
- Jennifer Syme, 28, the former girlfriend of Keanu Reeves, is killed in a car accident in Hollywood, Calif. She died from head injuries after she was thrown from her Jeep Cherokee. Her car collided with a line of parked cars. Late in 1999, Syme reportedly miscarried a baby she conceived with Reeves.
- The New York Post reports that Survivor's most despised contestant, Jerri Manthey, is thrilled by Playboy's supposed offer to have her pose nude for an upcoming issue.
- Brad Pitt and indie director Darren Aronofsky plan to collaborate in a “metaphysical science fiction film.” Aronofsky earned raves in 2000 for his bleak drug film Requiem for a Dream.
- Burt Reynolds is set to star in a new comedy for CBS, titled Late Boomers. Robert Urich and Joe Regalbuto will co-star in the show about a group of middle-aged pals.
- NBC confirms that May 22 will be the last episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun. The show about aliens living in the United States was on the air for five seasons—long enough to be sold into syndication.
- The producers of Survivor file suit against the producers of Fox's Boot Camp, claiming the makers of the military-style reality show violated federal copyright law by stealing the premise from Survivor.
- Law & Order star Angie Harmon announces plans to leave the show to focus on her movie career and her upcoming wedding to New York Giants cornerback Jason Sehorn. Harmon, who plays hard-nosed assistant district attorney Abbie Carmichael, appeared on the legal drama for three years.
- Steve Buscemi is stabbed in the face, throat, jaw, and arm outside a Wilmington, North Carolina, bar. The indie actor had been in the bar with Vince Vaughn and screenwriter Scott Rosenberg when two men reportedly confronted Vaughn because the actor had been talking to one of the men's girlfriends. Buscemi was treated and released from a local hospital. Buscemi and Vaughn were in North Carolina filming Domestic Disturbance.
- Heartthrobs Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze, Jr. become engaged. Prinze popped the question the day before Gellar's 24th birthday. No wedding date has been set.
- West Wing creator and executive producer Aaron Sorkin is arrested at the Burbank, California, airport, on charges of drug possession. Airport officials found hallucinogenic mushrooms in his luggage.
- UPN lands a major coup, outbidding the WB network for broadcast rights to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. UPN, whose stable of shows could certainly use a face-lift, will pay $2.35 million for each episode. The show had been one of the WB's top-performers.
- The producers of Law & Order announce that Elisabeth Rohm is set to replace Angie Harmon, who is leaving the show after three seasons.
- Robert Downey, Jr. is arrested again, this time on charges of suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled substance. A Culver City police officer saw the troubled actor in an alley between a motel and a liquor store acting “suspiciously” and arrested him when he began “displaying symptoms consistent with stimulant use.” Downey was not carrying any drugs. The next day David E. Kelley, the producer of Ally McBeal, said “We are wrapping up the stories on the final few episodes of Ally McBeal for the season without him.” Downey had a recurring role on the show this season and won a Golden Globe Award for his efforts.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger announces he will not be a candidate for governor of California in 2002. He had been mulling a run for several months but decided he needed to focus on his family and movie career.
- Disney pays an unspecified eight-figure amount for the next film by The Sixth Sense director, M. Night Shyamalan. The plot of the film, titled Signs, is top-secret, though some reports say it is about strange lines and circles that mysteriously appear on a family farm.
- Model Nikki Taylor is critically injured in a car accident. The driver, James Renegar, crashed into a utility pole when he reached down to answer his cell phone. Taylor suffers massive internal bleeding and damage to her lungs and liver. Taylor has twin 6-year-old sons. Her sister, Krissy, also a model, died in 1995 at age 17 of complications from asthma.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on April 2001 from Infoplease:
- April 2001 - April 2001 World Serbs Arrest Slobodan Milosevic (April 1): Former Yugoslav president held at ...
- Information Please Press and Awards - Press and awards received since February 1998.
- 2001 Disasters - 2001 Disasters January 2001 Disasters February 2001 Disasters March 2001 Disasters April 2001 ...
- 2001 Month-By-Month - 2001 Month-By-Month December 2001 November 2001 October 2001 September 2001 August 2001 July 2001 ...
- Joey Ramone - Biography of Joey Ramone, Lead singer of The Ramones
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring