- The London home of Madonna and Guy Ritchie is burglarized. The robbers get away with Ritchie's Range Rover and other goodies. It's the second time in a year that the Material Mom has been the victim of a robbery.
- Model Christy Turlington, 31, announces that she's suffering from early-stage emphysema. She began smoking at age 13 and quit five years ago. Her father died of lung cancer in 1997.
- Werner Klemperer, who played Col. Klink on Hogan's Heroes, dies at age 80.
- The National Board of Review picks Quills as the best picture of the year. For a full list of winners, see National Board of Review.
- NBC cancels the critically drubbed Michael Richards Show. It's the fifth new show of the season canceled by NBC.
- Family members of slain actor Anthony Dwain Lee, who was shot and killed by police at a Halloween party, file a $100 million wrongful death suit against the city of Los Angeles. Lee was dressed up as a police officer and was holding a fake gun when police were called to the party on a noise complaint. When a police officer saw what he thought was a real gun, he shot at Lee. An autopsy revealed that Lee was shot four times from behind. The police officer claimed he shot at Lee in self-defense.
- Jim Carrey and Renée Zellweger confirm that they have ended their relationship.
- Rail-thin actress Calista Flockhart collapses on the set of Ally McBeal. She's treated at a California hospital for dehydration and exhaustion.
- It looks as if the Oscar race is wide open, with no clear-cut best picture favorite. The New York Film Critics Circle cites Traffic as the best movie of the year. For a full list of winners, see New York Film Critics.
- NBC Entertainment President Garth Ancier steps down and is replaced, to the surprise of many, by Jeff Zucker, Today show executive producer.
- Rosie O'Donnell announces that she'll do a stint as the Cat in the Hat in Broadway's much-maligned Suessical.
- The man who has been harassing Gwyneth Paltrow is found guilty of one count of stalking. A Los Angeles judge orders Dante Soiu, 49, to a lockdown psychiatric facility indefinitely.
- The Los Angeles Film Critics Association names Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon the best film of 2000. For a full list of winners, see LA Film Critics.
- Steve Martin confirms that he'll host the 73rd Academy Awards on March 25, 2001.
- Liz Hurley is spared expulsion from the Screen Actors Guild and instead is fined $100,000 for filming Estée Lauder commercials during the commercial actors strike.
- Today show host Matt Lauer announces that he and his wife, Dutch model Annette Roque Lauer, are expecting their first child.
- Madonna and director Guy Ritchie marry in an elegant ceremony at Scotland's Skibo Castle. Stella McCartney, who designed the brides's gown, serves as her maid of honor. Ritchie wears a Hunting Mackintosh kilt, sans undies.
- Acclaimed film and stage actor Jason Robards dies after a long battle with cancer. He was 78. He won back-to-back Oscars in 1976 and 1977 for his roles in All the President's Men and Julia, respectively. He recently played a dying man in 1999's Magnolia.
- Robert Downey, Jr. pleads not guilty to felony drug charges in an Indio, Calif., courtroom. In November he was arrested on charges of possession of cocaine, felony possession of the prescription depressant diazepam, and a misdemeanor count of being under the influence of a controlled substance. He'll appear in court again on Jan. 29, 2001.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on December 2000 from Infoplease:
- December 2000 - December 2000 World Mexico President Inaugurated (Dec. 1): Vicente Fox Quesada promises to share ...
- 2000 Disasters - 2000 Disasters January 2000 Disasters February 2000 Disasters March 2000 Disasters April 2000 ...
- 2000 Month-By-Month - 2000 Month-By-Month December 2000 November 2000 October 2000 September 2000 August 2000 July 2000 ...
- Thalia - Biography of Thalia, Latin pop singer of "Tu y Yo"
- Fatboy Slim - Biography of Fatboy Slim, Mixmaster of "Weapon of Choice"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring