- Comedian Bob Hope, 97, is rushed to a California hospital and undergoes emergency intestinal surgery.
- Willie Fulgear, the 61-year-old Los Angeles resident who was rewarded with $50,000 after he found 52 missing Oscars in March, reports to police that $40,000 had been stolen from his apartment.
- The Matrix dominates the MTV Movie Awards, winning Best Movie, Male Performance (Keanu Reeves), and Fight Sequence. For a full list of winners, see MTV Movie Awards.
- Copenhagen takes the major awards at the 2000 Tony Awards, winning Best Play, Director (Michael Blakemore), and Featured Actress (Blair Brown). Contact wins for Best Musical and Choreographer (Susan Stroman). For a full list of winners, see Tony Awards.
- Controversial rapper Eminem is arrested on two felony weapons charges, assault and illegal possession of a firearm, after an altercation with a man who the singer had reportedly seen kissing his wife, Kim Mather.
- Titanic director James Cameron marries actress Suzy Amis, who played Lizzy Calvert, Rose's granddaughter, in the epic. It's the second marriage for Amis and the fifth for Cameron.
- Pop sensation Celine Dion announces that she's pregnant with her first child. She recently revealed that she had been undergoing fertility treatment. Her husband, René Angelil, had a cancerous lump removed from his throat in 1999.
- Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor announces she's a lesbian (although celibate) and an ordained priest. “I'm a lesbian,” she said in an interview in the July/August issue of Curve magazine, “although I haven't been very open about that, and throughout most of my life I've gone out with blokes because I haven't necessarily been terribly comfortable about being a lesbian. But I actually am a lesbian.”
- Candice Bergen and Marshall Rose, a 63-year-old real estate developer, marry in a New York ceremony. It's the second marriage for both. Bergen's first husband, French director Louis Malle, died of lymphoma in 1995.
- Oscar-winning actor Michael Caine is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. “It's the greatest honor I've ever had, or am likely to have, in my life, and I am very quietly but so ecstatically happy,” he said.
- Madonna has reportedly purchased a $16 million mansion in London's chic Knightsbridge district. She's expecting a child in September with British film director Guy Ritchie.
- Nancy Marchand, versatile character actress best known for playing feisty matriarch Livia Soprano on HBO's The Sopranos, dies of lung cancer at age 71. Theatrically trained, Marchand started her career on stage, appearing in several regional theater productions before making the leap to television, Broadway, and films. She won four Emmy Awards for her portrayal of newspaper publisher Margaret Pynchon on Lou Grant. Her films include Jefferson in Paris and Sabrina. She appeared in Broadway's Miss Isobel and White Liars.
- Sharon Stone and her husband, newspaper executive Phil Bronstein, announce they adopted a baby boy, who was born to an unwed Texas mother, in May. The couple named the child Roan Joseph Bronstein. “He's my wonderful, precious little Buddha. He eats like a champion. He sleeps peacefully - and he's the apple of his daddy's eye,” Stone said.
- Fran Drescher, star of The Nanny, undergoes emergency surgery to treat uterine cancer. Doctors expect the actress to make a full recovery.
- Comedian Dennis Miller is plucked to host ABC Monday Night Football. He'll be joined in the booth by Football Hall of Famer Dan Fouts.
- Sharon Stone agrees to star in Basic Instinct 2. She'll earn a reported $15 million to reprise her role as the ice-pick yieldin' vixen Catherine Tramell. Basic Instinct producers Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna are also in charge of the sequel. A director has not yet been named.
- Broadway's Hamlet, starring Frasier's Kelsey Grammer, closes after just 13 performances. The play and his performance were widely panned by critics.
- Inside.com reports that 27-year-old heartthrob Ben Affleck may take over for Harrison Ford in the Jack Ryan film series. The latest installment in the series, penned by Tom Clancy, The Sum of All Fears, is currently in development.
- Actress Ellen Barkin and Revlon CEO Ron Perelman marry. It's the second marriage to Barkin and the fourth for Perelman. Barkin recently divorced actor Gabriel Byrne (though they've been separated since 1993), and Perelman has been engaged in a hostile—and public—custody dispute with his third wife, Patricia Duff.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on June 2000 from Infoplease:
- June 2000 - June 2000 World Clinton and Putin Unable to Agree (June 4): End cordial two-day Moscow conference ...
- 2000 Disasters - 2000 Disasters January 2000 Disasters February 2000 Disasters March 2000 Disasters April 2000 ...
- Broadband at Home - Broadband at Home Survey date Users (in millions) June 2000 6 Feb. 2001 13 Aug. 2001 16 Dec. 2001 ...
- 2000 Month-By-Month - 2000 Month-By-Month December 2000 November 2000 October 2000 September 2000 August 2000 July 2000 ...
- Bashar al-Assad - Biography of Bashar al-Assad, The president of Syria, 2000-present