|Writers:||Alan Parker and Laura Jones|
|Paramount/Universal; R; 120 minutes|
|Cast:||Emily Watson, Robert Carlyle|
Frank McCourt's memoir Angela's Ashes was successful because he infused his poverty-stricken youth with wit, hope, and a knack for storytelling. Alan Parker's film adaptation enlivens a miserable story with romanticized ghettos, beautifully soot-stained urchins, and other tragedies made pretty.
Three boys play McCourt at various stages of his life. Emily Watson works well as mother Angela, a woman tormented by her husband's (Robert Carlyle) alcoholism. Instead of unleashing the destructive unpredictability of a drunk dad, director Alan Parker settles for pleasant vignettes and apt details, glossing over of the grim bits that tragically enlivened the book's narrative.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Angela's Ashes from Infoplease:
- Angela's Ashes - Irish Movies Introduction 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next by Beth Rowen Angela's Ashes ...
- Angela's Ashes - Starring Emily Watson, Robert Carlyle, Shane Murray-Corcoran
- 1996 National Book Critics Circle Awards - 1996 National Book Critics Circle Awards The 1996 National Book Critics Circle Awards were ...
- Frank McCourt - Biography of Frank McCourt, Author of three memoirs, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt was able to turn a difficult childhood in Irelan…
- Emily Watson - Biography of Emily Watson, Star of the movie Punch-Drunk Love
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring