|Writers:||Armyan Bernstein and Dan Gordon|
|Universal Pictures; R; 120 minutes|
|Cast:||Denzel Washington, John Hannah, Vicellous Shannon|
A standout performance from Denzel Washington provides The Hurricane's cool, morally steadfast core, but a shlocky script sends melodrama in a furious circling whirl without real direction. Real-life boxer Rubin “The Hurricane” Carter was unjustly convicted of murder and imprisoned for decades, and this is his story.
Carter's (Washington) best interactions are with a young fan (Vicellous Shannon) from Brooklyn whose visits to the imprisoned man change both of their lives. The fight sequences, filmed in black-and-white, are raw and energetic, but the legalistic grappling that occupies the movie's end grow sluggish. Epic, manipulative, and generally entertaining.
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on Hurricane from Infoplease:
- Other Hurricanes - Other Hurricanes 1780 Oct. 10–16, Barbados, West Indies: “The Great Hurricane of ...
- Hurricane - Hurricane 1900 Sept. 8, Galveston, Tex.: an estimated 6,000–8,000 dead, mostly from ...
- Hurricane Season - Find 2013 hurricane season predictions and a review of previous hurricane seasons, including storm names, strength, and cost.
- Hurricane Katrina - Hurricane Katrina A disaster and its catastrophic aftermath by Borgna Brunner The eye of the storm ...
- Hurricanes by the Numbers (Atlantic hurricane statistics) - Find the most current statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau on Atlantic hurricanes.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring