|Writer:||Andrew Kevin Walker|
|Paramount Pictures; R; 110 minutes|
|Cast:||Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Michael Gambon|
Viewing Sleepy Hollow, one almost wishes the conventions of plot weren't there: the first half-hour is beautifully filmed, with a gritty ethereal spookiness that almost makes the movie worth seeing. But by the end, Washington Irving's short story has been played out and the visual coherency loses its head to a facile plot. Boy meets girl, villagers lose heads, boy loses girl due to misplaced accusations of witchcraft, boy discovers the true controlling force behind the murdering headless Hessian spirit, boy gets girl back. Casting is splendid, and the aura of Sleepy Hollow is amazing. Too bad it descends into fights, chases, and plot development.
More on Sleepy Hollow from Infoplease:
- Sleepy Hollow - Starring Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Casper Van Dien, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon
- Sleepy Hollow - Sleepy Hollow The name given, in Washington Irving's Sketch Book, to a quiet old-world village ...
- Washington Irving - Biography of Washington Irving, Author of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
- Tarrytown - Tarrytown Tarrytown , village (1990 pop. 10,739), Westchester co., SE N.Y., a residential suburb of ...
- 1999 Boston Society of Film Critics Awards - 1999 Boston Society of Film Critics Awards Best Picture Three Kings Best Actor Jim Carrey, Man on ...