Tea With Mussolini
|Writers:||John Mortimer and Zeffirelli|
|G2 Films; PG; 117 minutes|
|Cher, Judi Dench, Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith, Lily Tomlin |
Franco Zeffirelli's semi-autobiographical Tea with Mussolini implies two things. First, that an ensemble cast of talented actresses and lavish scenery in an exciting place and time is a certain formula for cinematic success. Second, that Italian fascism's primary impact was to slightly circumscribe the creature comforts of expatriate British bourgeoisie for whom life must be beautiful. Lodged between these two assumptions lies Zeffirelli's product. The ensemble cast quivers with ability: Cher shines as the art-heiress playgirl who breezes into town; Maggie Smith holds her own against Cher's talent in her role of an effete Brit blue-blood. Julie Dench, Lily Tomlin, and Joan Plowright complete the ensemble of women who fight for their right to tea against the encroaching muzzle of Fascist Italy.
More on Tea With Mussolini from Infoplease:
- Tea With Mussolini - Starring Cher, Judi Dench, Lily Tomlin, Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith
- Franco Zeffirelli-Cosi - Zeffirelli-Cosi, Franco Zeffirelli-Cosi, Franco , 1923–, Italian opera, stage, and film ...
- Dame Judi Dench - Dench, Dame Judi Dench, Dame Judi , 1934–, British actress, b. York, England, as Judith ...
- 2000 British Academy of Film and Television Awards - 2000 British Academy of Film and Television Awards The 2000 BAFTA Awards, the British equivalent of ...
- Cher - Cher (Cherilyn Sarkisian La Piere) actress, pop star Born: 5/20/1946 Birthplace: El Centro, ...