Mighty Joe Young
|Director: ||Ron Underwood|
|Writers: ||Mark Rosenthal and Lawrence Konner|
|Buena Vista; PG; 114 minutes|
|Cast: ||Charlize Theron, Bill Paxton, Rade Serbedzija, Peter Firth, David Paymer and Regina King|
Walt Disney meets King Kong and everybody over age 10 loses. Sweet Jill Young (Theron) has devoted her life to the caretaking of orphan Joe, whose mother was killed by poachers. Decades pass. Hunky wildlife conservationist Gregg O'Hara (Paxton) seeks out the massive primate and convinces Jill that the safest place for Joe is Los Angeles. That's right, Los Angeles. The murderous poacher (Serbedzija), whose two fingers were nibbled off by the infant Joe, heads to California to exact revenge. In true Disney style, only the bad people get hurt. And the two-ton simian is a lovable, warmhearted chum who, after some initial complications — clambering up the Hollywood sign, assimilates quite successfully into contemporary American culture, evading law officers on the L.A. freeway like many a Los Angelino before him. But beware the injurious potential of a stale-cheese dialogue and a goofball premise.
More on Mighty Joe Young from Infoplease:
- Mighty Joe Young - Starring Bill Paxton, Charlize Theron, Rade Serbedzija, Naveen Andrews, Regina King
- Willis O'Brien - Biography of Willis O'Brien, The animator of the original King Kong
- Ray Harryhausen - Biography of Ray Harryhausen, The stop-motion filmmaker who did Jason and the Argonauts
- Naveen Andrews - Biography of Naveen Andrews, Sayid in the TV series Lost
- Bill Paxton - Bill Paxton actor Born: 5/17/1955 Birthplace: Fort Worth, Texas With a film like the blockbuster ...