Lethal Weapon 4
|Writers:||Jonathan Lemkin, Alfred Gough, Miles Millar and Channing Gibson|
|Director of Photography:||Andrzej Bartkowiak|
|Editors:||Dallas Puett and Frank J. Urioste|
|Music:||Eric Clapton, Michael Kamen and David Sanborn|
|Production Designer:||J. Michael Riva|
|Producers:||Richard Donner and Joel Silver|
|Warner Bros.; R; 127 minutes|
|Cast:||Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci, Rene Russo, Chris Rock and Jet-Li|
In Lethal Weapon 4, LAPD crime-busting buddies Riggs (Gibson) and Murtaugh (Glover) are promoted, but with all the partners' huffing and puffing on the job, one wonders why they don't just retire. Stars Gibson and Glover may still look good, but the over-the-hill jokes are tired and their wisecracking banter has lost much of it's old magic. Riggs and Murtaugh are assigned to break up a ring of Chinese gangsters who are counterfeiting money and smuggling illegal aliens. Sympathetic to the displaced Chinese immigrants, Murtaugh puts up one of the families – a sensitive subplot that turns politically incorrect when jokes about Chinese cooking and poor English start flying around. Martial-arts star Jet-Li is a highlight; his smooth fighting moves provide the only original bits of action in an otherwise tedious sequence of chase scenes, fireball explosions and bullet showers. Pesci's usual obnoxious chatter makes Rock's sharp monologues (playing the boyfriend of Murtaugh's daughter) a breath of fresh comic air. Maybe Rock and Jet-Li should take over the beat in Lethal 5.
More on Lethal Weapon 4 from Infoplease:
- Lethal Weapon 2 - Starring Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci, Darlene Love, Joss Ackland
- Martial Arts of Shaolin - Starring Jet Li, Qingfu Pan, Hu Jian Qiang, Cheng-Hui Yu, Hai Yu
- Jet Li - Jet Li actor Born: 4/26/1963 Birthplace: Beijing, China Li, who is a superstar of Hong Kong martial ...
- Chris Rock - Chris Rock comedian, actor Born: 2/7/1966 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York Rock began his career by ...
- Kiss of the Dragon - Kiss of the Dragon Director: Chris Nahon Writers: Luc Besson, Robert Kamen 20th Century Fox; R; 98 ...